What is a State Committee Person / District Leader?
State Committee Person also often goes by the title of District Leader. A State Committee person is an unpaid elected official who serves on the Executive Committee of a County political Party for a two-year term.
In Kings County (Brooklyn), registered Democrats are responsible for electing two Democratic State Committee persons, one male and one female, in each New York State Assembly District. There are 21 New York State Assembly Districts in Brooklyn and thus there are 42 Democratic State Committee persons.
Key Responsibilities of a State Committeeman
- Galvanize Residents to Become More Involved in Community Affairs: The State Committee person is a local liaison between the community and city, state and federal elected officials. A strong State Committee person should be an effective advocate and activist for the leading issues impacting the neighborhood.
- Select the Brooklyn Democratic Party Leader: The 42 State Committee persons vote to elect the leader of the Brooklyn Democratic Party. Considering three of the past four party leaders have been indicted on charges of corruption – this is a critically important function.
- Determine Slate of Democratic Judicial Candidates: The 42 State Committeepersons are charged with reviewing and endorsing Democratic judicial candidates. State Committeepersons can reform the notorious Brooklyn Democratic judicial selection.
- Endorse Candidates for Local Office: As members of the Executive Committee of the Brooklyn Democratic Party, the 42 State Committee persons vote to endorse candidates for elective office within in Brooklyn, as well as for citywide, statewide, and national offices.
- Represent Brooklyn at New York State Democratic Convention: The State Committee persons are the Brooklyn Democratic Party’s delegates to the State Convention. At this convention, the State Committee persons vote to endorse candidates for Statewide office.
Additionally the District leaders hire poll workers and election inspectors for the primary, special, and general elections.
Dear Friends & Community Members,
Despite the number of jobs created over the last few years following the recessions, many of our friends, neighbors, family and even ourselves remain unemployed or under-employed. It is my belief that a well paid job is essential to being able to afford housing in our ever more expensive City, and it is also essential to the pursuit of your personal American Dream.
The purpose of my monthly Jobs Newsletter is to both keep you and our communities abreast of job opportunities as they become available and educate others on the jobs situation in our country. Below you’ll find highlights from the Jobs Report and a listing of jobs available.
If you know of any jobs opportunities that our community members can apply for please send them to us at the contact below.
“President Obama, who expressed frustration that he has not received the credit he feels he deserves for the country’s improving economy, said the jobs numbers were further signs of progress.”
During the last few months of the Bush Presidency the United States was loosing over 700k jobs every month, now we create around 200k per month. From the time of President Obama’s election in 2008, over 9million jobs have been created in the United States. This Has brought our unemployment rate from a staggering peak of about 10% to 4.9%.
According to many economist, at this point anyone who wants a job should be able to find it. That is some good news, but can we find well paid jobs is another matter.
See link for full New York Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/06/business/economy/jobs-report-unemployment-january-fed-interest-rates.html?_r=0
CITY OF NEW YORK - Civil Service Exams - City wide: All Boroughs
- Corrections officer
- environment police officer
- school safety agent
- special officer
- Traffic enforcement agent
Postgraduate Center for Mental Health - Non- Profit - City wide: All Boroughs
- Program supervisor - http://www.pgcmh.org/careers/ProgSuper.htm
- Property Manager - http://www.pgcmh.org/careers/PropM.htm
- Care Coordinator- health home - http://www.pgcmh.org/careers/HHCCJD.htm
- Outreach & Engagement specialist - http://www.pgcmh.org/careers/OESpec.htm
- Front Desk Counselor - http://www.pgcmh.org/careers/FDC.htm
- Administrative Assistant - http://www.pgcmh.org/careers/AA2015.htm
- Part-time Porter - http://www.pgcmh.org/careers/PorterPartTimeMarch2015.htm
- Building Supervisor- http://www.pgcmh.org/careers/Building%20Superintendent.htm
PRIDE HEALTH - Private Sector - City Wide: All boroughs
- Registered Nurse http://www.pride-healthcare.com/DisplayNewJobDetail.aspx?JobTitleID=14848
- Registered Nurse Case Manager http://www.pride-healthcare.com/DisplayNewJobDetail.aspx?JobTitleID=14851
- Case Manager http://www.pride-healthcare.com/DisplayNewJobDetail.aspx?JobTitleID=14871
- Medical Assistant http://www.pride-healthcare.com/DisplayNewJobDetail.aspx?JobTitleID=14809
- Direct Care Professional (Home Health Aide) http://www.pride-healthcare.com/DisplayNewJobDetail.aspx?JobTitleID=14860
- Case Planner http://www.pride-healthcare.com/DisplayNewJobDetail.aspx?JobTitleID=14857
BEST BUY - Private Sector - Brooklyn, NY- Atlantic Center Mall
- Asset Protection Associate - http://www.bestbuy-jobs.com/job-detail/?id=370308BR
- Mobile Sales consultant - http://www.bestbuy-jobs.com/job-detail/?id=370302BR
- Sales consultant lifestyle http://www.bestbuy-jobs.com/job-detail/?id=370292BR
- connected devices sales consultant - http://www.bestbuy-jobs.com/job-detail/?id=370285BR
- customer service specialist - http://www.bestbuy-jobs.com/job-detail/?id=370295BR
- inventory specialist - http://www.bestbuy-jobs.com/job-detail/?id=370298BR
- merchandise specialist - http://www.bestbuy-jobs.com/job-detail/?id=370300BR
- multi-channel sales associates – http://www.bestbuy-jobs.com/job-detail/?id=370280BR
- sales consultant- computers - http://www.bestbuy-jobs.com/job-detail/?id=370290BR
- sales consultant- home theater - http://www.bestbuy-jobs.com/job-detail/?id=370287BR
APPLES BEES - Private sector - Multiple locations in Brooklyn
- Server Assistant